“Ohi”, an exclamation with multiple emotional experiencesSemi-serious reflection on the most famous sigh in the world.
Oi, it’s that expression used to express a physical or moral feeling. Some people generally use it to express “widespread suffering”, other people abuse it using ohi as a universal manifestation of pleasure, discomfort or dismay. In the article, Dr. Andrea Guerrini will use ohi as a metaphor for a thousand experiences , all to be discovered and explored deeply.
The saving power of the ohi
A ghost wanders the ways of the body: an uncontrolled lament that expresses itself in its own way without anyone asking it. Mr. Ohi with his family roams the streets of the subject. He has no precise destination, he follows a map of his own (or maybe not) and he lives where he sees fit. He moves without saying anything to anyone and makes his voice heard without asking permission.
Ohi it’s transversal, it goes from the heart to the stomach passing through the throat and greeting the head. Ohi does what he wants. He temporarily lives in via dell’Insofferenza and then stays in Piazza della Sorpresa until he dwells on Corso Satisfaction.
Ohi doesn’t belong to any social class even though you frequent them all and then distance yourself from them. Ohi looks you in the face with the same lightness with which you turn your back. He is at ease in any social context despite the discomfort of being permanently: he serenely sublimates in an “Ohi” of divine ecstasy until he descends into the maze of earthly sighs. It feeds on intolerance to give birth to enjoyment.
The Ohi doesn’t care about manners . He arrives without warning, enters without knocking and leaves without saying goodbye. He is an existential nomad who gives voice to the inexpressible. It is the discomfort of authentic feeling that avoids useless words. It only expresses what it does not want to be heard and does so through sound that has no communicative claims .
He just wants to get the sense of being of those who give voice to the “Ohi” so that something changes or makes the expresser become aware of what happens inside . He is a supervisor of present emotions, spokesperson for intolerances, fomenters of conflicts, active demonstrator of discomfort, editor of enjoyment. It is all and nothing together, at the same time, at different times. Oh that’s it, winks at the fake expression of discomfort to conceal an inexpressible pleasure.
The thousand experiences hidden by an “ohi”
It is the ohi of the teenager who pretends to be annoyed in front of the attention of the suitor on duty. It is also the Ohi of the saturation of endurance that finds a good ally in the gesticulation of the hands that shake to shake off the weight of disliking.
It is the Ohi of pleasure finally achieved in the satisfaction of appetites, not just food. It is the Ohi of “finally here we are…” The Ohi family has distinctive common traits: it feeds on air, digests it in the lower abdomen and manifests it to the world through the emission of the characteristic sound. Ohi, however, is distinguished from other family members for the intensity of the sound, frequency and pitch. Depending on these traits, the sender sends back a different self-awareness and a specific reaction in the receiver .
Ohi creates boundaries, makes you become aware of invasions of the field, helps to mature the awareness of pleasure and the satisfaction of a need. Oh free, but at the same time it makes you become aware of your chains. Tie and untie, untie to knot. Oh that’s it: uncomfortable and necessary at the same time; pleasant, liberating and unbearable. Irreplaceable, unreliable trusted friend.
With Ohi you can play, agree to get involved even if he hates being commanded and controlled. Ohi loves stretches:
1) Lying in a prone and then supine position, it is possible to interlace the fingers of the right hand with those of the left, rotate the wrists and push while extending the legs and arms. By loosening your jaw and turning your hips slightly to the right and left, slowly you need to relax and encourage yawns so that Ohi feels free to let his voice be heard.
2) Throat, chest and belly ohi have different reverberations. Throat ohi frees us from what we held back for fear of hurting or exposing ourselves . The Ohi of the heart is the availability to openness and the expression of the pleasure finally achieved. The ohi of the chest is also that of worry, of the unbearable weight that can somehow be shaken off. The Ohi of the belly is that of the undigested (situation, event), of what remains on the stomach but it is also the Ohi of pain, the expression of the physical and moral evil suffered.
In a sitting position, with your legs crossed and your arms relaxed running along your sides, you can begin to inhale by sending your head back, expanding your chest and opening your shoulders. During the exhalation phase it is necessary to bring the chin close to the shoulders, count the rib cage and close in the shoulders. Here it is necessary to express one’s “Ohi” with the intensity and height of the sound characteristic of the emotional condition experienced (anger, satisfaction, impatience, etc.).
3) The exercises can be done in pairs by negotiating the distance with each other. With the legs as wide as the distance between the shoulders and the knees slightly bent, feet parallel it is important to try to stay in contact with the other’s gaze. Depending on the distance, the reading of other people’s gaze, the emotional activation ( annoyance, anger, embarrassment ) it is possible to express one’s “Ohi” trying to do it in the way that best suits one’s feelings. Ohi is the result of what is felt in the presence of the other and can also be expressed after the exercise, putting one’s eyes closed, in intimate connection with the breath.
4) Contact with the other : resource, limit, impediment or gratification? Sitting back to back and alternating moments in which the head remains straight with others in which it rests back towards the shoulder of the other, it is necessary to try to feel how we perceive the other: resource or impediment? Bother or support? Ohi, here too, helps to understand ourselves better and to give us a clearer view of how we experience physical proximity with each other.
5) Ohi as an expression of anger, annoyance and pain : one in front of the other it is possible to try to imitate the gestures and posture typical of those who have reached the limit of endurance, shouting “Ohi” with all the strength and commitment maximum through gestural expression and adequate facial expressions.
As we said before, Ohi often does not like to be commanded, it does not work by recall; this is why it happens that we are unable to express it effectively by demonstrating how much we may not be able to express disappointment, anger, annoyance, etc.
The practice of Ohi, in short, is open to all, it is what we naturally express in everyday life. I believe that Ohi is a precious resource to use, a life partner who constantly sends us back the photograph of our being and, at the same time, the way to express the condition of our change. Maybe Ohi would like us different, free from our imaginary chains, would like the best for us. Ohi pushes us towards the best for us but is a tacit prompter. He doesn’t like clichés and hates rhetorical speeches. Ohi explains it all with the intensity of its sound. It is up to those who express it to understand what it means .